- Point-to-point (unicast) or multiparty (IP Multicast Backbone MBONE)
- Video portion only of a multimedia conference
- Separate audio (vat), whiteboard (wb), and session control (sdr) applications
vic also runs on the experimental real-time networking protocols from U.C. Berkeley's Tenet group (RTIP), and Fore's SPANS ATM API
- Backward compatible with RTPv1 and can interoperate with both nv (v3.3) and ivs (v3.3).
- Interoperates with ISI's Multimedia Conference Control (mmcc), the Xerox PARC Network Video tool (nv), INRIA Video-conferencing System (ivs).
- Combines the advantages of nv's block-based conditional replenishment scheme (i.e.., robustness to loss) with those of H.261 (i.e., higher compression gain and compatibility with hardware codecs).
- This is achieved by coding only ``intra-mode'' macroblocks and using macroblock skip codes to replenish only the blocks that change. For a fixed bit rate, the H.261 coder achieves frame rates typically 2-4 times that of the nv coding format.